You may only apply retroactively for a TUE to your NADO if:
- You required emergency or urgent treatment of a medical condition.
- There was insufficient time, opportunity or other exceptional circumstances that prevented you from submitting the TUE application, or having it evaluated, before getting tested.
- As per your NADO’s anti-doping rules you were not permitted or required to apply in advance for a TUE.
- You are a lower-level athlete who is not under the jurisdiction of an International Federation or National Anti-Doping Organization and were tested.
- You tested positive after using a substance Out-of-Competition that was only prohibited In-Competition (for example glucocorticoids).
In rare and exceptional circumstances and notwithstanding any other provision in the ISTUE, you may apply for and be granted retroactive approval for a therapeutic use of a prohibited substance or method, if considering the purpose of the Code, it would be manifestly unfair not to grant a retroactive TUE.
This unique retroactive TUE will only be granted with the prior approval of WADA (and WADA may in its absolute discretion agree with or reject the your NADO’s decision).
- Using a prohibited substance or method without a TUE could result in an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.
- In case an application for a retroactive TUE is necessary following sample collection, you are strongly advised to have a medical file prepared and ready to submit for evaluation.